Sunday, April 29, 2012

End of the Semester


Seeing as final grades have yet to be determined, I should probably try to be conservative with my critiques of the class. But I am a senior with only a few weeks left of my education so let’s roll with honesty is the best policy.
Let me begin by saying that I enjoyed the class and its differences from other courses.  There are a number of things that I took away from the class. Some of the learning came from the books and class sessions, and some came from simply the learning process. Most of what I took away probably came from Bolman and Deal. This class really did not force you to learn stuff you didn’t want to learn. (I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing) I came away thinking about management and leadership and a certain amount of information on risk. I can’t say that I would know how to properly apply incentives but that I know people are risk adverse creatures. I know that if I am going to make changes from a management standpoint that I will consult the boots on the ground to see what’s working; stressing the importance of communication .I am going to be keeping Bolman and Deal and returning M&R. I like that you trust us to do our own reading, though it did not always happen. It is kind of like you need to take responsibility for yourself.
The size of the class made it essentially conversational. If we ever wanted to say something we were free to do so and professor usually could talk about each of our questions for a significant period of time.  I understand that the critique should be based on a larger class so that is all I will say for the size of the class. To me, the presentations are the most important part of the class. The first one was extremely challenging and the second one was something you could probably talk about without ever reading a book. Both made sure you dove into a section and worked on presentation skills.
As I said the class itself cannot be replicated because of its size, and if bigger, would only generate discussion from the usual talkative people. I personally think that sometimes the people, who do not talk much, probably have some pretty interesting stories. I understand that this is why you blog. As long as you are bringing up the prominent blog posts in class then I think they are a good idea. I do not feel as though one really can generate that sense of community online.  Graded virtual community may start as interesting but I found it became more an obligation. Don’t get me wrong though. I think in some instances that good teachers have to push a student to the direction that they need to go. I enjoyed hearing about your previous experience within the IT department and numerous other stories. I usually became more attentive when you turned off the PowerPoint and simply talked with us (Something that I do not think will be able to be replicated in a larger class).
As far as suggestions for improving the class, I think that the class could do some more actual research into real life examples or incorporate reality into the school setting. My favorite classes (which generate the most thought and learning) have all brought real life example into the course. Not just looking at a website or something but somehow include a physical experience.  Experience probably is the greatest teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the suggestions. On the "trust" part, in some sense I didn't, in that some in class comments (not just by you, but really by several students) showed either not reading the chapters at all or not understanding them well. On the other hand, I don't believe in busy work. So I agree you do have to take responsibility. One of the big questions I have is when should that lesson be learned. I'd have hoped earlier in your college experience. But it doesn't seem that way.

    I also appreciate the suggestion on real world experience considered in some depth. Perhaps when some of the alums from the class get a bit along in their careers, I can tap into them for what they've learned about the course issues since they graduated.

    ReplyDelete